Friday, February 22, 2008

I was asked to resign from an airline job...

Question:
I was asked to resign from an airline job,because they say I had enough time to complete the IOE and there has to be a limit and I reached. I say, it happened because they fragmented my IOE training, they changed too many instructors (6)in total. When I was ready to get it, they changed to another instructor and so on.

They told me that I could apply to other airline because this is not going to be on my records and I could say that I resigned for personal reasons. Now I am
applying and have been asking why
I leave my last job? mi question is: What I should say? What do you recomend?


Answer:
I'm sorry that you had trouble in training and I'm also sorry that "they" told you that you could or should be elusive to future interviewers. This is simply not the case - the more elusive you are the larger the question mark in the interviewer's mind. You don't want them to have any question marks about you or your past. In short, don't let them use their imaginations.

If you received a paycheck from this airline, then yes it will appear on your record as past employment. Furthermore, because of the PRIA (Pilot Records Improvement Act) any future employer is required to obtain your previous training records.

Without knowing the specifics of what happened it is difficult to talk details. The best advice is to be honest. The interviewers will see that you were employed for a relatively short amount of time and suspect there was trouble in training. Take responsibility for your mistakes and be accountable. Everyone makes mistakes but not everyone owns them. If you own your mistake then future employers are more inclined to believe that you have learned from it.

Good Luck!
Lori Clark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, I read your advise and it's true, it's better be honest
although that can cost you the job but it's better then than
later when you are seated in class training, right?
Thank you very much for your advise, I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best.

Focus on what you had difficulty with in training and overcome. Then when asked in your next interview you can talk about what you have done to be sure it won’t happen again. That’s really what they are concerned with...return on investment. They want to know you will pass their training before investing time and money in you.

When asked “what happened” be sure to illustrate the facts of what happened and where you were not up to standards. They will have no sympathy for the “emotional” aspect.

And yes, it is much better to be turned down for the job (right now – that will change in the future) than to be terminated – which remains on your record.