Friday, February 22, 2008

I have a question about getting hired at an airline

Question:
I have a question about getting hired at an airline preferably [a major]. I got an impaired driving charge in [my state] in 2002. I reported it to [XYZ] airlines and was hired in 2005. When trying to get on with [a major], they ask you if you have ever got one of these on your record, I put yes, but after reading one of your posts on what the airlines can look up as far as driving records, should I see if my name is on the National Driving Record Database, and if its not, can I get away with not putting it on the application? I only ask becuase I believe this impaired driving charge is going to hurt me in the long run.
Thanks!

Answer:
Yes, I highly recommend that you obtain a copy of your record from the National Driver Register. If for no other reason to know what has been reported about you. I don't know if your state reports to the NDR or not and whether or not it is listed. If this incident is there then you must disclose the it - they will see it.

Having said that, what you are asking is really an ethical question. Only you can really answer that question. My philosophy has always been one of honesty. It would be worse if you did not disclose and they discovered it. Then they can terminate your employment based on falsification - lying on the application. Which is worse? Do you always want to be looking over your shoulder?
My advice... fess up. Explain the situation and what happened, without emotion. Accountability is what the interviewers need to see. Mistakes can be forgiven, and learned from, but lack of accountability is inexcusable.

I hope this helps!
Lori Clark

No comments: