Monday, February 25, 2008

Aspiring to be an airline pilot

Question:
I am going to be going into my junior year in high school next year. I've always had a big interest in being a pilot for an airline since i was a little kid, and i still want to pursue it. I have a couple questions though.

First, what should i do in order to pursue an aviation career as a student?

Second, what are some good colleges to look at for aviation?

Thirdly, would all the schooling, training and all that building up flight time be worth all my time, because the more i read, the more unsecure or unlikely it seems to become a pilot with all the competition, and i dont want to lose intersest, so please give me a little advice. Thanks


Answer:
I applaud you for following your dreams.

First, I think you're on the right track by seeking a college degree first. There are two schools of thought on whether or not a degree is worthwhile, but nonetheless the fact is that there are airlines who require a four-year degree.
Why on Earth would anyone want to close any doors? I believe in a degree, preferably non-aviation. Reason is that you will learn an area of specialty that you could fall back on if, knock on wood, something happened to your flying career.

Second,there are many good colleges to consider. If you're leaning toward an aviation degree I would seriously consider UND and Purdue. There are other excellent flight schools as well. My personal favorite is Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach Florida. I recently wrote an article regarding flight schools feel free to peruse - - I hope it helps.

Third, my question back to you on this is: Where are you reading this stuff? Yes, today (and the past few years) it is very competitive, more so than it has been in a very long time. But competition is not new to this industry, you will always face stiff competition for flying jobs. Unfortunately 9/11 really threw a wrench into things and put thousands of pilots on the street which increased competition - or should I say it decreased job availability. You will face some frustration along your career path, particularly when you are applying for a new job. But this is not unusual. I highly recommend you talk to as many pilots as you can - in person would be best - get their insight into the industry and their opinions. Pilots love to talk, I'm sure you'll get more than you bargained for when you pose your question.

The life of a pilot is certainly not what it used to be 10, 20 years ago. Salaries have decreased significantly and the prestige of being a pilot has diminished as well. I personally think this is because the prestige of flying in general has diminished. Please keep in mind as you read various message boards, etc that there are a lot of bitter pilots out there. Not that they shouldn't be, they have worked their entire lives building a retirement package and *poof* it's gone. I'd be bitter too. But rest assured, as long as we continue to fly airplanes we will continue to need pilots. My advice would be to do it because you love to fly, not for the money or the glamour.

I hope this helps you, or at least gives you a little reassurance.

No comments: