Friday, March 7, 2008

Driving records

Question:
Hi Lori,

I am in the process of applying to airlines on airline apps. The question that comes up is about my driving record. I am more than willing to be completely honest about my record but I really can't because I don't have any recollection about when I received speeding tickets and one for failure to yield. I don't remember dates or even years for that matter.

So my question is what record will the employers receive and how do I get my hands on that report and is there some organization that I can pay to research the same stuff that the airlines will research and just see what comes up. Can I just pay the same company for the same data that the airlines will receive?

Again I am more that willing to be honest but exact dates! I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Thank you

Answer:
Not remembering dates, believe it or not, is not an excuse. So, request your driving record from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles from each state where you lived and/or were licensed. If nothing appears then make an educated guess as to when the ticket was issued.

The airlines cannot request a copy of your state driving record on their own - this is why they ask you to bring it with to the interview. So what an airline sees on your state driving record is what you provide. Not all airlines will request to see your driving record.

Although the rule of thumb is that the driving record shows five years of history, each state has a different set of rules. Some will "drop" violations from your record in a given amount of time and others do not. It is completely up to the state's chief driving official.

However, airlines are required by the PRIA to request the NDR (National Driver Register) and will do so via a release signed by you.

Reporting to the NDR is voluntary by the state and not all states report. What is reported to the NDR is egregious behavior - not your simple speeding ticket.
According to the NDR what is reported is: "...information about drivers who have had their licenses revoked or suspended, or who have been convicted of serious traffic violations such as driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. State motor vehicle agencies provide NDR with the names of individuals who have lost their privilege or who have been convicted of a serious traffic violation."
For more information on the NDR visit: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.


Hope this helps!

Regards,
Lori Clark

No comments: